2024 COVERS

2024 covers

Welcome to the Dark Side!

We are writers mainly from Australia and New Zealand who write speculative fiction with romantic elements. Be it fantasy, paranormal, dark urban fantasy, futuristic and everything in between.

Saturday 23 August 2014

Darklight On… JL Addicoat


Today’s Darklight On is… JL Addicoat.

Welcome, JL






How did you come to write speculative fiction? What attracted you to the genre?

That’s an easy one to answer. I find books never have only one genre, there are usually one or two others poking their noses in. When my brain starts working, and the voices start talking to me (and each other), anything could and does happen. Romance, spirits, the past, present and future, and even magic can roll into the one story. My imagination knows few boundaries.


Are you a plotter? Pantser? Or somewhere in-between?


Somewhere in between. I usually have an idea where I’m going. I may sketch out a rough outline, but after that the characters take hold, tell me what’s to happen and I become the narrator.


Do you have a favourite of your characters?

I like Julia. Some of her traits and interests are similar to my own. On the other hand, Bill holds a special place with me as I’d love to remake an English Garden.



What are you currently working on?

My current work in progress is the story of two strong women born over a century apart, who find themselves in a struggle with the same foe.

I also have a partially finished work involving the futures of two worlds, where each need the others help to survive.


What is your favourite part of the process of writing?


Coming up with the idea and developing it. I won’t start writing something until I have a rough outline of what is going to happen, even if it is in my head.


What can we expect from JL Addicoat in the future?

Hmm. What to expect. I’m hoping to have two novels and two short stories published or close to being published in the next year. The short stories are extended versions of my competition entries in the Little Gems.


Who are your favourite authors?

I have a few and they vary. My favourite romance author has to be Anna Campbell. I admire her writing and I love her voice.

Others I admire for their research and stories are Jean Auel (Earth’s Children series), Kathleen O’Neal Gear/W. Michael Gear (First North Americans series) and Kathy Reichs.



What are you currently reading?


At the time of writing this I’m reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I love how different the story is and who’s narrating it.


Do you have a favourite spec fiction movie or TV series?

I admit to being a Science Fiction nut. Star Trek, Star Wars, Intelligence, Defiance, they all ring my bell.



Do you have advice for emerging writers?

My biggest piece of advice for anyone taking on their dream of writing a novel is to not give up on yourself. Yes, it’s hard. Yes, there are so many ‘rules’. Learn the rules and stick with it.

Most of all, don’t get upset if you don’t make it the first time. Take what criticism has been made and work with it.



~~~

Thanks, JL Addicoat!





Blurb to Spirit of Love:

Old buildings have an eerie haunting feeling, and the 17th Century Manor house in the Cornish countryside Julia intends to restore, is no exception. Originally her dead husband’s dream, she feels it’s up to her to complete it in his memory. When she arrives she realises it’ll take more than a quick clean to bring the dilapidated old Manor to its former splendour.

While exploring the house she feels as if someone, or something, is watching her. Darting shadows and movements seen from the corner of her eyes appear to confirm sinister happenings at the Manor in the past. The discovery of an old diary hidden in a chest of drawers, and the story it tells, lead Julia in a different direction than she originally thought she would be taking.


Buy Links:
Amazon AU   |   Amazon US   |   Barnes & Noble   |   RoguePhoenixPress

Contact the Author:
Website   |   Blog   |   Facebook  |   Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

check out all our books on our dsdu-books shelf:
DarkSide DownUnder's book lists (dsdu-books shelf)